Ringing in the new year with a set of achievable goals is a great way to approach the upcoming year. One of the most common resolutions we make for ourselves is to improve our health. This oftentimes includes our physical or mental health, but not so much our oral health.
Good dental hygiene is an integral part of our health. Studies show that individuals who take less care of their teeth tend to suffer from conditions like diabetes, heart disease, dementia, and respiratory infections.
In order to sustain your health, we have come up with a do-able list of steps you can take into the new year to ensure that your oral health is in great shape.
Resolutions for a Healthy Smile
- Commit to 6-Month Dental Cleanings. It is easy to fall out of the routine of seeing your dentist twice a year, but it is really important to receive a professional cleaning and regular x-rays! This will help prevent you from any future cavities or decay. Catching an oral health issue early on is much better than discovering you require an expensive and long dental service.
- Drink More Water. Hydration is key to your mouth’s success. A lack of H2O can lead to further tooth decay and a decrease in saliva! Saliva is important for rinsing your teeth between brushes. Everyone requires a different amount of water, but a general rule of thumb to follow is to divide your weight by 2 and drink that many ounces of water per day. Learn more about the important role of saliva.
- Start Flossing Daily. It’s tedious and repetitive, we know, but once you make this a habit—you’re set! This step can remove excess food particles and prevent plaque build-up. Choosing to floss can extend the health of your teeth and serves as a precautionary measure for future illness.
- Quit Smoking. You’ve probably heard, smoking increases your risk of gum disease and mouth cancer- not to mention, cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and chewing tobacco stain your teeth, cause plaque buildup, and halitosis.
- Whiten Your Smile. We want you to feel confident when you smile – even if it’s not part of your oral health. If you are struggling with discoloration and the over the counter whitening treatments aren’t cutting it, it may be time to for a professional whitening treatment.
Your Dentist Knows the Best
Improving your dental health this new year is a great resolution to have, and a great place to start with this resolution is vising the dentist for a professional cleaning. Lowry Main Street Dental offers general dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, emergency care, children’s dentistry, and more. We are also accepting new patients, contact us today to make an appointment for the new year.